Thursday, November 20, 2008

dye with HSG

Hey this may seem really stupid, but does anyone know what kind of dye is used with an HSG? And do you know whether there's any problem breastfeeding after an HSG? My guess is there's no problem since it's injected into the uterus, not into the bloodstream, but, of course, it goes out through the fallopian tubes (assuming no blockages) and absorbs into the body, so who knows.

Clearly I can ask my doctor this, and obviously the two best doctors to ask this are the radiologist who does the HSG and my pediatrician... but I'd rather ask before the day of which means the radiologist isn't the best candidate and I can't really ask my pediatrician without knowing what kind of dye they use. I guess I'll go acquaint myself with Dr. Google...

Clearly if I manage to wean before then, this will not be an issue.

Edit: As Chris noted, it's an iodine dye used, either water based, or oil based. I can't find any article suggesting that there's any issue with breastfeeding, but I'm sure my husband will be able to answer that for me in about two seconds once he gets home. I can't, for the life of me, think of ANY reason why iodine would be incompatible with breastfeeding, though occasionally (rarely, even) women have allergic reactions to the dye, so I guess your babies could too, if there was any way it could be excreted in the breastmilk, but my guess is that even if it could be excreted in the breastmilk it would be in such a small concentration it would be nearly irrelevant.

3 comments:

Chris said...

I'm 99.9% sure the dye is iodine (or at least iodine based). I can't think of any reason in the world why you wouldn't be able to breastfeed after an HSG!

Good luck!

Jen said...

i think the only issue would be if it's a radioactive isotope...i had a different scan done with an iodine-based radioactive dye (for my gallbladder), and they told me i couldn't even HOLD the babies for 24 hours, and couldn't nurse for 48. mind you, the babies were only 2 months old at the time. the funny thing is, i was able to pump and KEEP the milk - once the 48 hours was up, the radioactive stuff was out of the milk just like it was out of my body!

Anonymous said...

Not sure about the dye, but if I remember correctly there is a metformin issue since there is iodine in the dye. Double check so there are no issues there.

Good luck!