Sunday, November 23, 2008

Weaning

Well, I know that it had been my plan all along, but my babies are weaned now. And I hadn't really meant for it to be today, but they decided it all on their own. I was figuring that we'd get down to the day I started BCPs with me gnawing my fingernails off trying to figure out how to get them to stop without traumatizing them. I had these grand plans of how I was going to gradually reduce their feedings, but it didn't really work that way, I still let them nurse whenever they wanted to, but you know? I think they just knew it was time to stop nursing, because they really stopped wanting to nurse, even when I was offering. Yesterday they nursed sort of fitfully for the last time, but really weren't all that interested and kept pushing me away. Today, no one was remotely interested.

So I guess that makes things a lot easier. And certainly means I don't have to worry about the HSG (which, by the way, is absolutely not a problem with breastfeeding, and yes, I do have to stop taking the metformin for the HSG, which means it was completely stupid for me to START taking it on Wednesday, but whatever... I have to stop taking it Sunday and resume taking it Thursday... Gah!).

I wonder what I'll do with all this free time on my hands now? No more pumping, no more nursing. All done. 14 months of my life suddenly over with no fanfare whatsoever. Do I get some sort of award for this? A good stiff drink, perhaps?

9 comments:

Ariel said...

My daughter nursed until she was just over two years old. She just turned 5 and I still miss it-It was the one thing about labor and delivery and all that that actually worked right for me...I was GOOD at that :)

Mama said...

Boo-- sorry things ended so abruptly, and not according to plan, but at least the kiddos didn't suffer for it and seemed to call the shots themselves.
Great hanging out last night- we need to do that more often!!

Leah Goodman said...

My mom said she also had that experience with me. I barely needed it anymore, and one day, i just didn't want it at all.

If it happens that way, at least you don't have to worry that you've taken away something they still want or need.

Fortunately, you can still cuddle them plenty even if they're not actually eating from you.

ms. c said...

Yes! A big drink for you. ;)

I'm glad that it wasn't traumatic for them. Maybe it's their way for preparing for a new brother or sister?

I can only imagine how you are feeling. (While sometime I dream of the day Sacha will take a bottle or cup, I also feel sad to think that one day he won't want to nurse at all.)

Anonymous said...

Yes, a nice stiff drink because it will be awhile once the IVF gets underway...then while pregnant again...and then while nursing again till you can have another :)

The triplets have a good sense of timing :) Good luck with everything and enjoy the little break!

Steph said...

Congratulations! You de deserve some sort of award. All BF moms do but you, you BF triplets and that therefore grants you a big, huge reward.

Congrats also on getting some time back! Just last night as my wife and I sat w/ both of us pumping (her on the computer, me on the guest bed that's in the office) - we talked about how wonderful it'll be to stop pumping and regain all that time back! (Heck I'm pumping on my lunch hour right now as I write this). I hope to continue BF for quite some time but I think I'll cut down on pumping once all the babies are over a year (1 down, 2 to go).

Again, congratulations!!!

Anonymous said...

You deserve more than a stiff drink.

decemberbaby said...

I think you deserve a very pretty bra. And major kudos.

Carol said...

ok, I'm way behind on your new blog already. But I'd say you deserve a huge award - nursing and pumping for triplets for 14 months! super momma!