Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Inaugural Post

This blog is for the sole purpose of writing about my return to fertility treatment, now that I already have a set of high order multiples. Am I crazy? Yeah, probably. Am I asking for more than I have a right to ask for? Definitely. But I love my children, all of them. And I always knew I wanted a big family, though I definitely expected to build that family one at a time, one pregnancy at a time. I definitely didn't want it all over with in one pregnancy, and I definitely didn't want my messed up biology dictating my family size for me.

In many ways I feel selfish and horrible for wanting this and pursuing it. But I also know that I would never be asked to justify my desire for more children if I was able to conceive without my legs up in stirrups.

I made this blog so that I could document this return to fertility treatment away from my regular blog, because I don't need the nitty gritty details of my cycles and my biology to be fodder for friends and family to gawk at right now. I don't want failed cycles to be public knowledge. And I don't want a positive pregnancy test to be news spread around my neighborhood until I'm ready for that news to be spread (I already had one relatively late loss that everyone I knew was privvy to... I don't need to repeat the experience on purpose).

I'll post the details in a new post, but the basic background is this:
I am 32 (33 in Jan), my husband is 36.
I have PCOS.
We previously experienced five years of primary infertility and went through 5 clomid cycles and 6 IUIs with Follistim, which resulted in 2 pregnancies: 1 which ended in miscarriage and 1 which produced a set of high order multiples.
We also have a foster son.

Our children bring us more joy than we ever imagined possible. We are incredibly blessed and obviously if we never had another child, we would consider ourselves lucky to have the blessings that we already have. Still, I know that I have room in my heart to love another and I desperately want that for my family. I'm clearly certifiable.

This time around, we're turning to IVF, hopefully with single embryo transfers, though obviously, that may be a game-day decision. We have a new doctor, a new clinic, a new insurance company, and a lot of new waters to navigate. Let the games begin!

11 comments:

Ariel said...

I think it is wonderful and natural for you to want more children :) No justification needed.

Chris said...

Best of luck to you!

And ditto Ariel - it's your life, your family.

Sam said...

I absolutely love the new blog name/URL. Thanks for inviting me.

Hopeful Mother said...

Thanks for inviting me over!

I'm happy to be able to support you on this next quest. And you definitely don't need to justify your wishes to anyone!

I hope it the journey is "easy" and the result is one healthy baby, sooner rather than later. :-)

This Mom said...

Thanks for letting me in. Can't wait to see what develops ...

Leah said...

Can't wait to follow you along this journey -- hopefully it's a shorter one this time. Thanks for sending me the link. :-)

Audrey said...

I'm excited to follow and I pray it is a quick journey.

Beth said...

Thanks, Karen, for "inviting me over". I'll be thinking of you!
BTW... I'm thinking of starting a 2nd blog myself... a more personal blog about ME... IVF, marriage, worries, etc... one that my in-laws WON'T see!!! :) All the Best!

decemberbaby said...

The blog name rocks! I'm happy to be along for the ride.

Anonymous said...

It woudln't matter if you were Michelle Dugger because she too gets the judgement about the big family.

Regardless NO ONE needs to justify their reason for having an only child, or 20 children. On you know when enough is enough, and only you can say when 1 more is welcome.

Good luck to you. I hope your dreams come true!

Cindy said...

OH, I am so with you. I am rooting for you. And, I am totally certifiable too because I am also ready for more after triplets. I don't tell lots of people though because they assume I am INSANE.