Saturday, February 28, 2009

Inquiring Mind(s) Want to Know!

So because I have no life, and apparently have copious spare time on my hands, I was poking around Ye Olde Fertility Clinic's Website, as I am wont to do this evening. Actually, I can't remember why I was doing it, but I think this time I actually had a reason I was poking around there. But anyway, they have all sorts of useful information, so I poke around there frequently. They recently reworked the website and it's pretty and fun and has new stuff on it all the time, and, well, see the aforementioned statement about my lack of a life and my copious spare time, and you'll see why I spend my time poking around their website. Besides, J (Marketing Supervisor Extraordinaire) was recognized for his wondermousness at Ye Olde Fertility Clinic for his hard work and dedication on the website re-design, so I figure I owe it to him to spend countless hours critiquing perusing his handiwork.

ANYWAY, I was poking around and I noticed that they have a new poll up for site visitors to fill out. The poll asks Who do you think should have the final say in the number of embryos transferred back in an IVF cycle? The possible answers are "Doctor" and "Patient".

I had a knee-jerk reaction to what my answer was (what? Me? Opinionated?), of course. And I thought for a little while longer about what other answers there could be and what the other arguments there were, and then... nope, I'm still sticking by my answer. But I want to know your opinion. But then I got to thinking that there are a lot of other relevant questions out there that are somewhat related and I want to know what you think of those questions, too!

The poll is anonymous - so please don't hesitate to fill it out, even if you're not a frequent commenter, and let me know what you think:

6 comments:

Mel said...

I can't answer the first question. I think in a case of deciding between 2 or 3, or 1 or 2, it should ultimately be up to the patient. HOWEVER - I think there comes a point when the doctor says, okay, this is not medically sound.

I also think that every case is different, and while no one needs to transfer 12 embryos, I don't like the government mandating my fertility. Unless the government wants to pay for unlimited IVFs.

I don't know about psychological testing. I mean, sure, it'd be great to weed out the seriously disturbed. But is it fair to screen people to have babies? Probably not.

I don't believe in limiting a family's number of children. We do not live in China or Nazi Germany. If you want to have 14 kids, and you can support them, go ahead. Alternately, if you only want one, no one should make you have two or three. Its one of those rights that everyone should have.

I don't know. I can't make these decisions. I can't decide what is appropriate reproductively for anyone except myself. I do think that there is medical recklessness, such as transferring an exorbitant amount of embryos. Just like I think there is medical recklessness when you give a woman breast implants so large that she can't stand up. What if the rule was that they always transfer two embryos, no matter what? I don't know what someone in your situation would do. Similarly, if we only do eSETs, some women might never conceive, when they might have if more embryos had been transferred.

Sunny said...

This was a tough one. I had to really think. I know I totally trust my doctor and his option. Grumps and I were just talking about this the other day. If we hadn't transferred 4 we are almost positive we wouldn't be pregnant with twins. Transferring 4 is crazy but knowing my doctor and his wisdom we had to trust him.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I can answer question # 1. Ultimately, I think it should be agreed upon by both the doctor and the patient. If I get to retrieval and have two embryos, I want to transfer them both, provided my doctor is ok with it. If the government wants to mandate how many embryos I can have transferred, they better pay for the cycle and the drugs.

Jody said...

So, this has nothing to do with the survey, but just now, March 23rd, bloglines dumped 23 new posts and they stopped with this one. Which, yeah, you already knew they were completely messed up, but I thought I would document the crazy.

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You may , probably very interested to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may start earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The firm represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with affiliates everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your chance That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I started to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a correct partner who uses your funds in a right way - that`s it!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://zynuwoteni.exactpages.com/ladoraji.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Anonymous said...

Hello!
You may probably be very interested to know how one can manage to receive high yields on investments.
There is no need to invest much at first.
You may begin earning with a sum that usually goes
for daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one company's work for several years,
and I'm ready to let you know my secrets at my blog.

Please visit blog and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I make 1000-2000 per day now.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]