Tuesday, February 3, 2009

PIO: It Does So Sucketh

PIO injections? Not nearly as horrible as I expected them to be. They don't hurt as much as I thought they would. They go in relatively easily. We haven't hit an artery yet (er, does that happen often?). Basically, we're all good.

Or, um, I thought so.

I mean, there's the mood changes. PIO, is systemic, you see, unlike Prometrium or Crinone, etc. So the mood changes. And the exhaustion. And all that good stuff. I can live with that. I'm moody and exhausted anyway (Shut UP!).

(and the estrace? Did I mention estrogen makes me cry at the drop of a hat? yeah...)

Anyway, back to the PIO. It's going well. It's all good. Not hurting. Life is good. I even gave myself my own PIO injection last night without any difficulty. Not bad. No real pain. Life is good.

Except now, every single injection site (not that there's so many now) is all lumpy and owie. And, in the face of this morning's news, I have decided to be annoyed about this development. Bah. How am I going to deal with 18 days of this (more if I'm pregnant, but who's counting on that?)


Edit: Yes, I know all about crinone, etc. I was even in a study for crinone once. But, my clinic uses PIO exclusively for IVF patients for at least the first 18 days after retrieval, except when there is an allergy to sesame. And, frankly, it's not that bothersome to me to do the PIO shots - it's just that this morning I had a lump in my patootie and I needed something to focus on and whine about other than that damn embryology report. I'm so sick of embryology reports. (though, I am, of course, on pins and needles awaiting tomorrow's report...I never claimed to be consistent)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

PIO does sucketh.

I am glad that your embryos are still growing and dividing.

battynurse said...

It does. Me personally I trust it way more than crinone but that's just me. When I was doing my shots myself I put them in my thigh muscle several times and they hurt way more. My entire leg would be sore for several days. At least in the butt it only hurt when I leaned against something.

Sunny said...

Ice ice ice and heating pad heating pad heating pad. :)

I am crossing everything for this day 5 transfer.

Malky B. said...

Would they let you switch to suppositories? Praying for something good to transfer one day 5.

Lori said...

Crinone! I never did PIO because my husband was gone too much to give me the shots. My friend has some permanant (minor) nerve damage from 4 cycles of PIO shots. Her last cycle she used my leftover Crinone and was much happier. She carried babies with both forms of progesterone.

Carol said...

laying on a heating pad always helped me. I actually would lay on the heating pad for 10 minutes or so before the injection to help warm up the muscle, it seemed to leave less of a lump if the muscle was warm first. And then I would try to lay on the pad for a while after the injection as well.